Hi everybody! While this isn't the first fanfic I've ever written, it is my first Power Rangers SPD fic! I just saw the first episode yesterday and immediately fell in love with Sky and Syd. Anyway, right after I saw the episode, (I can't wait for next Saturday to see what happens!) I went online to search for more information about PR: SPD. And what I found surprised me! On the website, it said that Sky was the son of the original red ranger! (which is Jason of course!) For some reason, when the show said Sky's father was the best red ranger - my mind flashed to Tommy! But, the website DID say that he was the son of the original red ranger so that's what I'm using. If none of you believe me, you can check out the website. Just go to the Google search engine and type in Power Rangers SPD and click on the first link! This story was a spur of the moment thing. It might not be very good, but I'm giving it my best! Please review and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading this!

Disclaimer: I don't own power rangers!

Oh, and by the way, this story has a few references to 'Barriers' written by Chyck. Be sure to read that story!


NOTE: Thank you to Smallville'sAmusedRebel-Meland BrandonBfor letting me know that Sky is not Jason’s son as I had originally thought! Sky is the son of the original SPD red ranger. My mistake!


There was no doubt about it. She was indeed very beautiful.

Sky Tate quickly averted his eyes as Sydney Drew turned around. Watching out of the corner of his eye, he let out a sigh of relief as Syd turned back around and began chatting with Z once more, not noticing that he was starring at her. What was happening to him? He never had these kinds of feelings before. He was Sky Tate. Top of the class. Best fighter. Training to be the next red ranger. To follow in his father's footsteps. He had no time for these foolish feelings.

But they were there.

In the beginning he thought Sydney wouldn’t have lasted 3 days in the academy. She was one of those beauty pageant girls, a spoiled princess. Girls like her belonged in beauty pageants, or modeling on a runway. He didn’t think she would last in a training facility. She didn’t look like the type to be part of the organization that fought crimes. She looked like the type that would fuss if she broke a nail.

In some ways, she proved him right. She was spoiled. Always wanting things done her way. Always primping in front of the mirror, or freaking out if she discovered a pimple on her flawless face. She didn’t like getting dirty. And she definitely didn’t like sweating – which was a must if you were enrolled in the Space Patrol Delta Academy.

But in most ways, she proved him wrong. She was determined. And loyal. When she wanted something, she would work her hardest to get it. Just when Sky thought she would give up, she would turn and do something surprising. He would never forget the day she stuck up for Boom after he had been kicked out of the Academy, and a few of their fellow classmates were teasing him. Always cheerful and full of energy. Kind and caring. Always including everyone in the outings she went on.

He remembered when they had first been assigned to work together as a group with Bridge. At the time he had been annoyed. How could have Commander Cruger put him with a pair of “weak” cadets? He was at the top of their class!

But things were different now.

Although he would never admit it, Syd and Bridge had grown him. Somehow, his annoyance had turned into respect and that respect had turned into admiration. And now he couldn’t have been more proud to work with those two.

He would never admit it though.

And somehow, during those months they worked together, Syd had gotten under his skin. He didn’t even know when or how he started developing feelings for her. All he knew was that one day he had gotten a whiff of her vanilla scent and noticed her beautiful blue eyes. After that day, he couldn’t get her out of his mind. The more he tried, the more he kept thinking of her.

His thoughts were broken as he felt someone sit down next to him. He turned and what he saw made his heart skip a beat. Syd looked stunning as usual.

Trying his best to look calm and casual, he smiled. “What’s up?”

“Wanna play a game of light ball?”

Looking into her eyes, Sky was almost tempted to say yes. But then decided against it. “Sorry Syd. I’m not really in the mood today.”

Syd pouted. “But you never want to do things with us.”

“It’s not that I don’t want to do things with you guys.”

“What is it then?”

“I just feel like doing something quiet and relaxing today,” Sky answered, reaching for a water bottle on the table and taking a sip.

Syd looked thoughtful for a moment, then grinned. “Quiet and relaxing huh? How about taking a walk with me?”

Startled, Sky choked on the water he was drinking and began coughing violently. That was a question he hadn’t been expecting!

“Are you okay Sky?”

Getting over his coughing fit, Sky cleared his throat before responding, “Uhh.. yeah… water went down the wrong way.”

Giving him a weird look, Syd just shrugged her shoulders. “So.. up for that walk? It will be quiet and relaxing!”

Sky looked around the room before answering the pink ranger. Jack was sitting on one of the chairs, reading one of his comic books, and across the room, Bridge and Z were chatting away, while playing with a deck of cards. Looking back at Syd, Sky felt his heart beating rapidly. “Sure, let’s go.”


Z and Bridge waited till both Sky and Syd left before breaking into laughter.

“They couldn’t be more obvious,” the green ranger snickered as the doors swung shut behind the blue and pink rangers.

“How long have they been like this?” Z asked.

“Oh for awhile now,” Bridge responded thoughtfully, placing down a pair of queen's. “Syd had a crush on him first, and then about two months later Sky started noticing her as well.”

“They never said anything to you?” Z wondered.

“Oh, Syd confided in me. But you know, Sky’s a private person. He likes things to be in order and placed neatly. I think if Syd told him she liked him, it would blow his mind. It takes awhile for Sky to adapt to change. And if he found out that Syd had a crush on him, he'd freak.”

“Well,” Z paused as she placed down a pair of kings, “he better adapt to this change soon, because I think Syd is going to tell him how she feels.”


The walk to the park was calm and silent as the two rangers wondered what to say to one another. Sky was feeling unbelievably nervous. Inwardly groaning, he desperately tried to figure out something to say, and said the first thing that came to his mind. "So, nice weather huh?" Sky immediately wanted to bang his head against a brick wall. 'What a stupid thing to say!'

Syd gave him a concerned look and glanced around at her surroundings. The sky was gray and cloudy, the temperature nice and cool. It looked like it was about to rain at any given moment; the sun was no where in sight, covered by the dark clouds. Shrugging, she replied, "Uhh, sure Sky... It's a beautiful day?" It was more of a question than a statement; her words were mixed with concern for him.

The pair continued on walking, silence once again filling the air.

Syd glanced at Sky out of the corner of her eye. He was so handsome! But he could also be a bit of a jerk at times. She wished that he would stop being so uptight and cut lose some more. But most of all she wished that he would open up more. He would always used to join the games that she and Bridge participated in (even though most of the time it was because he was dragged into it!). Ever since Z and Jack joined their team he had simply flat out refused to join in any fun activities.

'Ever since Z and Jack joined!' Sydney thought. Was that the only thing bothering Sky?

Stopping in the middle of the street, Syd grabbed Sky's arm, forcing him to stop as well. "Sky.." she trailed off.

It was Sky's turn to look concerned. "What's wrong Syd?"

"I -I just wanted to.. tell you that I think you should've been the red ranger."

Syd watched as Sky's concerned expression turned to one of anger, then to annoyance, and finally to acceptance. He sighed. "Yeah."

"Is Jack the reason why you don't want to hang out with me and Bridge anymore?"

He looked surprised. "What?"

Suddenly Syd found the ground very interesting and adverted her eyes. “We’re really worried about you, you know,” she said softly.

"Who?"

"Me and Bridge. We're both really worried about you."

"Why?"

"It's just- it's just that before Jack and Z joined the team, the three of us were really starting to bond, you were really opening up to us Sky," Syd's blue eyes looked up into his brown ones, shining with concern for him, along with a hint of curiosity.

Slowly, Sky shrugged off Syd's hand on his arm and turned away. "You know, Bridge and I had a conversation like this a few nights ago."

Sydney nodded. "I know, he told me."

Sky turned back around and raised an eyebrow. Syd just simply shrugged. "What? We were worried about you!"

He gave a small smile and sighed. "I'm slowly learning to accept it. Jack isn't so bad."

Sydney smiled back and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Bridge and I both thought you should've been the red ranger Sky. But Commander Cruger did appoint Jack and we've both adapted." She looked up at him. "You're still the best Sky."

For the first time since he had been given the SPD powers, Sky smiled sincerely. A few nights ago, Bridge had basically said the same thing, and at the time it had consoled him. But hearing it from Sydney, suddenly things just seemed to have gotten a lot brighter.

Surprising the pink ranger, Sky leaned in and quickly gave her a hug. "Thanks Syd."

Quickly gaining her composure, Syd returned the hug warmly, her heart beating twice as fast. "Anytime." Pulling back, she asked, "Is that all that's bothering you? Bridge said that you've been nervous and jumpy lately too."

Gulping, Sky tried to think of something to say. He wasn't ready to reveal his feelings for Syd just yet. "Don't worry about that. I'll tell you some other time. I promise."

Playfully punching his arm, Syd relented. "Alright buster, I'm holding you to that promise. I won't ask about it agian."

Sighing in relief, Sky glanced at his watch. "We should head back. It's almost time for me to do my night shift."

Smiling widely, Syd asked, "Want some company tonight?"


So, should I continue? or just leave it as it is? Let me know in the review!